Thursday 28 May 2020

Roleplaying Drunk


This last week has seen further revelries on Tabletop Simulator as more of our esteemed members have made it into theie latter half century. Monday saw a marathon session trying to get kicked out of Colditz, then subsequently trying to get kicked out of the Red Dragon Inn and finally, although I had to give up after seven hours and lick my eyeballs, ending  up with a game of Seven Wonders. The more I play TTS the more impressed I am with it as a gaming tool; given the breadth of games and community available I very much suspect that its going to comprise most of my retirement when I eventually get there. Having spent an unforgiving amount of time playing computer games over thirty years, there is definitely the sense that themes and mechanics repeat themselves and pretty much every genre has been done to death from my perspective. But giving board games a lease of life on the internet is a new experience and I had almost forgot the feeling of seeing something original.


Whist our extremely poor rolling made for a slow game of Colditz, my introduction to the Red Dragon Inn was a delight as it's fairly straightforward mechanics of trying not to let your falling fortitude dip below your increasing intoxication whilst retaining enough gold to keep in the Inn is constantly challenging. It seemed like we had all the expansions on the table as there were a huge variety of characters to choose from that both affect ones play style as well as open up lots of tactical avenues of play. In fact its really a role playing drinking game.


In other universes the last details of our Star Trek characters were tweaked and it looks like we are all on for the first session this Saturday. I doubt that this will be a drinking game though I do note that the doctor in the pilot episode used to carry around some drinks in his medicine bag and Romulan Ale notwithstanding, Starfleet did eventually commission a bar on the Enterprise. Perhaps I can see another Red Dragon expansion coming soon - The Ten Forward Inn..



1 comment:

  1. My main issue with Red Dragon Inn is the addition of a mini-game within its mechanics...
    (the whole gambling concept)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.